Home.About Us.Contact Us.Events.Bishop Richard writes....

Copyright © Diocese 2010

The Diocese of St Helena was founded in 1859 and is the fourth oldest diocese in the Church of the Province of Southern Africa. It originally consisted of the Islands of St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, but since the 1960's it has consisted of St Helena and Ascension Island. There are three Parishes on St Helena with 11 churches: St Paul's Cathedral Parish which consists of St Paul's Cathedral, and four daughter churches: St Andrew's, Half Tree Hollow, St Helena of the Cross, Blue Hill, St Martin's in the Hills, Thompson’s Hill and St Peter's, Sandy Bay; The Parish of St James, with 3 daughter churches: St John's, Upper Jamestown, St Mary's, the Briars, and St Michael's, Rupert’s Valley; The Parish of St Matthew, Hutts Gate with one daughter church, St Mark's, Longwood; and a congregation at
 

Levelwood, but no church. St James' Church in Jamestown is the oldest Anglican Church in the southern
hemisphere, the present building was put up in 1772. There is one Parish on Ascension with one church - St Mary's which is in Georgetown

Bishops of St Helena